Thursday, November 3, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!

It seems like it's been forever since I've been on here. I've recently completed school with for my RN. Now that I'm done I will have more free time to get on here and post. I've recently started baking more in my spare time. I've always loved watching those cake shows on TV and was always impressed at how grand they were. I've always made cakes but nothing like those. Well, I made a trip to Hobby Lobby and ended up with all of the cake tools I may need, probably for the rest of my life. I started with a basic cake. I made James help. I made homemade buttercream and put him to work. Then I got busy trying to figure out how to make sugar flowers.


These are my first attempts at daisies and roses. Not bad for a first try. Then it came time to put the tiers together. These are the daisies, believe it or not these were really pretty easy to make. You just have to cut them out of the gum paste. Then you use little tools to make the edges thinner. The middle is just gum paste tinted yellow.

 This is my first attempt at a rose. This was a little more difficult. I still need more practice on getting the edges thinner. You have to start with a base then make individual flowers and layer them to get a fuller look.







This is a close up of the daisy. I used yellow sugar for the middle too.
This started out to be a water lilly, but I never made the rest of it. I just had extra pink colored gum paste.


This is the first official cake. It's pretty helter skelter, but that's just because I was trying to get a feel for decorating the cake in general. It takes a lot of time in order to place things just right. I also had to fondant a cake for the first time. Let me tell you they make that look easy on TV. It's really harder than it looks.





Here's the other side of the cake. I made calla lillies the same way as the other flowers. I think these turned out a little better than the daisies.

 This was the top layer of fondant. I used a press that embossed a design into the fondant. I really like the way it turned out!


 Here's the rose and 2 carnations that I attempted.



This is the second cake I tried. With this practice cake I tried to pipe on a design instead of using the embossing mat. This is going to take some practice. Mind you this is the 1st attempt at piping. My hand is still not as steady as it needs to be.










This is the top of the cake. I ran out of callas, but you get the general idea. This is what the top of my sister's wedding cake will look like. It will be next September at my house. And guess who is making the cake? ME! OMG I'd better get some more practice in. I really enjoy making cakes. I would like to start making more out of my home. I've tried thinking of a really cute name for my "bakery" or so you could say. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Poo, I just tried leaving a comment and got an error so hopefully this one comes thru!

Wow, you did an amaaaazing job on those cakes! I wouldn't even know where to start! I made a cake from scratch once and it was like a brick so I stick to the boxed ones now:)

I found your Etsy shop, everything is gorgeous! I added it to my Etsy faves:)